SPONGES are made from PLASTIC - polyurethane for the soft stuff and scouring side made of polyethylene. They never break down in landfill, and while they are in your kitchen they are one of the worst breeding grounds for bacteria. It's no wonder that we throw them away after only using them for a short while.
Why are they such a 'bacteria breeder'? - Because of their massive surface area (all those little pores....) and how they hold water. This combo makes for a bacterial heaven.
Think about how often you throw these away...for hygiene reasons it should be weekly unless you commit to regular disinfection (yeah....that's gonna happen). So take that and work out how much that costs per year.....its about $80!
But there is an option - you can change from your plastic nasty sponge to something like this - a coconut scourer. These will cost you around $4 each BUT:
They last - we have been using ours for 3 months, and at this rate we will use 2-3 this year which will cost about $12. They dry COMPLETELY and don't hold bacteria. When you're done, you can toss them in your compost and the world doesn't pay a price for you cleaning your kitchen.
Comments are closed.