A University of Queensland study in 2012 found that 78 per cent of the plastic ingested by deceased turtles it studied was from helium balloons. Their study confirmed turtles were wrongly identifying the remnants of balloons as a food source. Turtles are unable to throw up the balloons and as gas is released from other foods they digest, they begin to float and suffer a long and painful death. Please stop using balloons - there are many other more environmentally friendly ways we can show off a celebration.
#northernbeachescleanupcrew #turtles #balloons #balloonsblow
Comments are closed.