Plastic in Sydney's oceans
A baby green sea turtle rescued from Tamarama beach had eaten so much plastic that it took six days for the contents to be excreted, according to Taronga zoo’s wildlife hospital. When the 127-gram hatchling was found, it was missing one of its four flippers, had a chip in another, and had a hole in its shell.
Carers said that aside from these injuries, the turtle appeared to be in good physical condition and had no trouble swimming.
“But then it started to defecate, and it defecated plastic for six days. No faeces came out, just pure plastic,” the Taronga veterinary nurse Sarah Male said.
“It was all different sizes, colours and compositions. Some were hard, some were sharp, and with some, you could tell the plastic had writing on it. This is all some of these poor little things are eating. There’s so much plastic around they’re just consuming it as their first initial food,” she said. Despite progress, it could be a whole year before he is released back into the wild and coastal waters.
#northernbeachescleanupcrew #nbcuc #turtle #plastic #litter #rubbish
Great video about the Cook's river
This is a great 20 min watch we think. It creates awareness about the Cook River in Sydney. https://youtu.be/xmxKUwB8VFQ
#northernbeachescleanupcrew #nbcuc #Sydney #cooksriver
Good morning from Manly beach
Good Morning from Manly Beach
#northernbeachescleanupcrew #nbcuc #helloManly #loveManly #savetheocean
Macquarie University is committed to sustainability and has a sustainable campus, they claim on their website.They have made an offical commitment to reducing their negative impact on our society and environment, established a sustainability unit and they even offer Master degrees in Environment and Environmental Management and yet today, their "Open Day" today looks like this.
Balloons are in the top three most harmful waste items to wildlife. Birds and turtles not only ingest balloons, they actively select them as food. This is because a burst balloon often resembles a jellyfish, the natural food sources of many marine species like turtles.
Ingesting balloons, and the clips and strings attached to them, can cause intestinal blockages and results in a slow painful death through starvation. Marine animals don’t have the gastrointestinal pH levels to breakdown a balloon and for turtles, it may also cause floating syndrome. Trapped gases in the gut can cause a turtle to become buoyant, unable to dive for food—making them vulnerable to boat strikes and leading to starvation and severe dehydration.
Wildlife, both terrestrial and marine, can also become entangled in balloon ribbons or strings, causing injury or death through drowning, suffocation, or an inability to feed and avoid predators.
Even if balloons are disposed of "safely" they go to landfill where it may take up to 1,000 years to decompose, leaching potentially toxic substances into the soil and water. Even if these balloons are biodegradable, it's greenwash. Natural latex may be biodegradable, but after adding chemicals, plasticizers and artificial dyes, how natural could it be? It may degrade after several years, but it’s surely not “biodegradable.”
If you want to discuss sustainably with Macquarie University, this is their email firstname.lastname@example.org and this is their commitment to sustainability: https://www.mq.edu.au/.../other-university.../sustainability
#northernbeachescleanupcrew #nbcuc #balloons #ballonsblow #sustainability #macquarieuniversity #MyMQ
How many masks do you see littered in a day?
#northernbeachescleanupcrew #nbcuc #mask #littered #animals
Keep Australia Beautiful Week
Keep Australia Beautiful Week runs from 15 to 21 August 2022 to raise awareness about the simple things we can all do in our daily lives to reduce our impact on the environment and encourage action. So this week we celebrate some of our wonderful ‘wildlife waste warrior’ volunteers.
Anne Jackson started not-for-profit organisation MediDivert in May 2019 to procure unused medical goods destined for landfill and redeploy them to wildlife organisations, sanctuaries, carers and vets that treat wildlife free of charge. Her efforts have saved over three tonnes of goods from landfill and over 1000 litres of fluids from the drain. This helped save the lives of countless native birds, reptiles and animals, particularly during the 2019/2020 Black Summer Bushfires.
If your medical organisation would like to partner with MediDivert, please contact Anne by email email@example.com
A repurposed operating theatre hand towel, small syringe and intravenous cannula was used to feed an orphaned baby ringtail possum - SWR volunteer Margaret Woods
Post shared from @sydneywildliferescue
Important reminders.We will keep speaking up about it, educate, share/post about it, get it out there more and hope to make this movement bigger and bigger. Balloons, don't only injure/entangle/kill wildlife. They can be deadly for people too.
- preventing exposure is key
- latex allergy has no cure
- latex allergy is also airborne allergy
- latex allergy can be both contact and airborne
- each exposure makes it more progressive
- exposure sensitizes the body
- not everyone will develop a latex allergy
- latex allergy ranges from mild - severe or minor - real severe/anaphylactic
- going completely latex free and using alternatives is the best and safest way
- be considerate of others, think twice
#latexallergy #latexallergyawareness #latexallergies #balloonsblow #banballoons #balloonssuck #balloonskill #saynotoballoons #BanHeliumBalloons #latexallergysucks #latexban #allergies #allergy #allergyawareness #allergyeducation #nbcuc #northernbeachescleanupcrew
Seabirds and other animals like a good feed of fish too, and are often attracted to fishing activity, especially from jetties
No-one wants to lose their gear, or see wildlife entangled in a line or net or hooked unnecessarily.
Cover up your bait and be aware of what is around when you cast a line. Dispose of unwanted fishing gear properly or take it home with you – there are fishing line disposal bins at many popular fishing spots
At-risk seabirds include albatrosses, petrels and shearwaters, and other animals at-risk of injury or entanglement include turtles and marine mammals such as dolphins
If you do accidentally catch a seabird, unhook and disentangle it gently, or if you prefer having assistance and you live on Sydney's northern beaches, call Seabird and Turtle Rescue on 0438862676
Pic: Natalee Yzerman, Western Australian Seabird Rescue
#northernbeachescleanupcrew #nbcuc #fishingsucks #fishing #pelican #wildliferescue